Filed In: Beauty
Every year I try lots of new beauty products, and this year I thought it would be fun to share my top ten beauty products of 2016! I stuck to products that were new to me this year or late last year. Some products were gifted by the brands and others I purchased on my own, but I held them all to one main standard – Would I buy this again? Keep scrolling to see who made the final 10 cut and which one product I consider life-changing!
10. St. Moriz Tanning Mousse and Ulta Application Mitt – I have tried airbrush tanning before which was pricey, and tanning lotions which smelled and left my palms orange, but this tanning mousse and mitt changed my fake tanning game. I decided to put these together as 1 item because you really need both to have the full benefit. This affordable self-tanning mousse looks natural and lasts days with a natural fade. The glove helps the application go on streak free and leaves the palms of my hands clean. The smaller mitt is perfect for face application.
9. c/o Olly Hair & Nail Vitamins – I am the worst at remembering to take vitamins. You usually have to take them with food, and I don’t eat breakfast until I am at work which means I always forget caught up in work things. I’m trying to grow out my hair and decided to try a Hair and Nail vitamin for some support. After taking 2 months to go through a 1 month supply of the pill form, I decided to give these gummies a go. They taste amazing, and I haven’t missed a day yet. I love the little mid-morning or post-lunch sweet treat. While it hasn’t been long enough to comment on growth, I definitely notice that my hair looks much healthier lately.
8. Wet Brush – This brush is a hair game changer. Previously, I used a wide tooth comb to brush out my hair when wet fighting through tangles. This brush easily slides through my hair smoothing out tangles without any discomfort from pulling. It also helps prevent breakage that can occur when brushing your hair while wet. A good thing when you are trying to grow out your hair.
7. c/o It Cosmetics CC+ Your Skin But Better Foundation – I have two foundations on my list, the biggest separator is the price tag. This foundation makes my skin look flawless. In my opinion, 100% worth the price! For starters, it contains SPF so one less thing to worry about putting on in the morning. It has color correcting properties that help even out your skin tone and cover blemishes. I stopped using my color correcting sticks once I started using this foundation. I also don’t really use primer with this product as it doesn’t sink into my pores or fine lines like other foundations. Any product that can help speed up my makeup routine and make my skin look amazing is a win!
6. Sigma Brush Mat – I hate the task of cleaning my makeup brushes. I typically do mine once a month with the exception of my foundation brush which I do more often. This mat makes the cleaning process a little more fun and the ridges really help deep clean your brushes. I feel like I use less soap and time.
5. c/o Clinique Smart Custom Repair Moisturizer – I was originally sent the whole Smart skin care line to try out. The moisturizers were amazing at evening out my skin tone and keeping my skin hydrated. I loved it so much I even bought it for my mom. I did try a few other morning face lotions, but none gave the same great results.
4. Revlon Colorstay Foundation – If you want a great drugstore foundation, this is it. The coverage is pretty amazing and lasts all day. I rarely used my color correcting sticks with this one. It didn’t overly sink into my pores or fine lines. I would occasionally pair it with a primer which only enhanced the way this foundation made my skin look. Another plus to this product is the wide range of color options.
3. Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask – Hands down, my favorite mask! I do this mask every other week, and my skin glows after I’m done. It does a great job of exfoliating away your dead skin cells so they aren’t clogging pores and causing fine lines while leaving you with smooth healthy glowing skin. Side note on this one, it does have a slight tingle after first applied.
2. c/o It Cosmetics Tighlight 3in1 Mascara – Can we talk eyelashes game changer! I hated the damage mascara was doing to my lashes, so I would often skip days going mascara free which probably made me look tired. It was the only way to keep my lashes healthy. This product works as a mascara, a mascara primer, and can be used as an eyeliner. I use it for both mascara, mascara primer, and sometimes to help break up any clumps. On regular work days this mascara can stand alone to create long thin lashes. When I’m heading out and about with my gals, I will wear this under my mascara to coat and protect. The big thing I love about this is that it conditions my lashes with nourishing ingredients so they can stay healthy and long and I cannot look half asleep skipping my mascara.
MY FAVORITE BEAUTY PRODUCT OF 2016!
1. Batiste Dry Shampoo -This product changed my whole hair game and morning routine. I wish I would have known about this product years ago. I can now go about 4-5 days between shampoos which helps keep my hair stronger and healthier. I have naturally curly hair which means when I wash it I then have to blow dry and straighten it. Lots of heat damage. Now I just do a quick straightening touch up in the morning, spray my dry shampoo on, wait a few minutes before shaking off excess and my hair looks as good as clean day one hair. The price tag is AWESOME coming in around $8 depending where you shop. I always keep two on hand, so that I am never caught with dirty hair and no dry shampoo in the morning.
There you have it my favorite beauty products of the year. Did any of your favorites make the list? See any products you want to try in 2017 or have a product you recommend for me to try out? I am always up to try something new.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend ringing in 2017! Stay safe and I will see you next year!
| DETAILS |
Face: REVLON Foundation (I use shade 220) | IT COSMETICS c/o CC+ Foundation (I use Light) | BENEFIT Porefessional Primer | IT COSMETICS c/o Bye Bye Under Eye Concealer (I use Light & Medium)
Contouring: LORAC c/o Pro Palette | LORAC c/o Blush in Infrared (The color on the site looks a little darker to me.) | IT COSMETICS c/o Bye Bye Pores Finishing Powder
Eyes: IT COSMETICS c/o Superhero Palette | IT COSMETICS c/o Tightline Mascara | LORAC c/o Cobra Mascara | TARTE Eyeliner Pot | MAYBELINNE Skinny Gel Pencil
My current everyday makeup routine consists of a few newbies and a few old favorites. For fall and winter, I do make a few small adjustments in colors. I mainly adjust my blush and lipsticks to colors to more of a light burgundy/ mauve color and less of a bright summery pink. The same for eyes, I stick to more of the fall colors like copper, beige, neutral pinks. I figured the easiest way to share my routine was to break it down step by step, so let’s get going!
1) I only use primer on days when I need my makeup to last for both work and an event. I’m not a fan of too many layers of product on my skin. I apply this one primarily on my forehead, cheeks, and chin. Primer helps to smooth your skin which helps foundation go on smoother and not sink into pores and fine lines so quickly. Don’t forget to let your primer soak in for a minute before you apply foundation.
2) Next up, EYES! I like to do my eye shadow before my foundation. This helps with catching any excess that falls under the eye or to the sides. I typically go with a pretty neutral eye, because I wear lots of eyeliner. I start with the middle foundation color POW all over, followed by one of the two lightest shadow shades (Limitless or Powerful) on the inside, then Aura on the outer corner. I blend it all together, and follow it up with a light dusting of the 3rd eye foundation (Magical) on the middle of my eyelid where the two colors are mixing.
3) I follow up with foundation, starting at the center of my face and blending outward. I love both these foundations, and I think both are pretty similar. They both provide great coverage, last all day, and work well without the use of a primer. The Revlon is the more affordable option of the two. The It Cosmetics one is pricier, but it is also thicker so you use half as much. The It Cosmetics one does cover breakouts better, and they stay covered almost all day!
4) I love this little concealer for the under eye and blemishes. I apply after my foundation and typically use a beauty blender to blend it in. This is one item I don’t use everyday, just when needed.
5) Back to eyes, as I apply my lower eyeliner. I like to apply before I contour because I think the highlight powders also help keep my eyeliner from smudging. This eyeliner is one of my favorite drugstore buys lately. I picked it up before TBSCon because I was out. I love the thin line of this one, and it doesn’t smudge too bad. I wore it during my 3 hour photoshoot while sweating from the hot humidity. I was really impressed with how it held up. Most eyeliners would be gone or running down my face.
6) My contour palette was upgraded to one with more color options. I use the light contour color for all my face framing and cheekbones. My favorite thing about this palette is the highlight color options. I use the yellow under my eyes, and the light highlight on my forehead, nose and chin. Last, I apply the shimmer (a little goes a LONG way) on the top of my cheeks right above where I apply blush. (BTW – This palette comes with a brush too!)
7) I fill in the apples of my cheeks with this blush, and then use my kabuki brush to blend everything together. This blush is the perfect fall shade, and it blends really well. Depending on how much I blended, I occasionally reapply a little of the light highlight shade.
8) Next up, I apply a finishing powder to help set my makeup and give an airbrushed finish.
9) My routine comes to an end back at my eyes. I love eyeliner pots, and I have been using this one for several months and really like it. The line does not smudge or transfer to my crease throughout the day. It’s not as solid as my previous one, so it took a little getting use to. It also take a few seconds to dry.
10) Last step, mascara. I ALWAYS start with my tightline. This is one of my favorite beauty products. I use this as both a mascara and a mascara primer. I have been using it for over a year and love how healthy it makes my eyelashes. Before this product, I used to skip mascara some days because they would get so damaged. This product completely changed that for me! Using with a mascara, only improves the look of your lashes in both volume and length. I just started using this cobra mascara a few weeks ago. I love the cobra design of the brush. The design really helps to get all my lashes including my trouble spot, the inner eyelashes. I use both sides of the brush to reach all my lashes and then to help really enhance them.
My everyday makeup routine takes me about 15 minutes. It seems longer when I write it all out. 🙂 I’m always making changes and adjustments to products and steps. Finding a routine, sometimes is all about trial and error. For example, I learned to apply my finishing powder before my gel eyeliner so the powder wouldn’t settle in a still wet liner line.
If you want to learn about the skincare routine I use before I start my makeup, you can read more about that HERE. Also, if you are interested in what brushes I use, I talked all about that HERE. Thanks for swinging by and ya’ll have a great weekend!