Monthly Archives: December 2016
My Top Ten Beauty Products of 2016
Every year I try lots of new beauty products, and this year I thought it would be fun to share my top ten beauty products of 2016! I stuck to products that were new to me this year or late last year. Some products were gifted by the brands and others I purchased on my own, but I held them all to one main standard – Would I buy this again? Keep scrolling to see who made the final 10 cut and which one product I consider life-changing!
10. St. Moriz Tanning Mousse and Ulta Application Mitt – I have tried airbrush tanning before which was pricey, and tanning lotions which smelled and left my palms orange, but this tanning mousse and mitt changed my fake tanning game. I decided to put these together as 1 item because you really need both to have the full benefit. This affordable self-tanning mousse looks natural and lasts days with a natural fade. The glove helps the application go on streak free and leaves the palms of my hands clean. The smaller mitt is perfect for face application.
9. c/o Olly Hair & Nail Vitamins – I am the worst at remembering to take vitamins. You usually have to take them with food, and I don’t eat breakfast until I am at work which means I always forget caught up in work things. I’m trying to grow out my hair and decided to try a Hair and Nail vitamin for some support. After taking 2 months to go through a 1 month supply of the pill form, I decided to give these gummies a go. They taste amazing, and I haven’t missed a day yet. I love the little mid-morning or post-lunch sweet treat. While it hasn’t been long enough to comment on growth, I definitely notice that my hair looks much healthier lately.
8. Wet Brush – This brush is a hair game changer. Previously, I used a wide tooth comb to brush out my hair when wet fighting through tangles. This brush easily slides through my hair smoothing out tangles without any discomfort from pulling. It also helps prevent breakage that can occur when brushing your hair while wet. A good thing when you are trying to grow out your hair.
7. c/o It Cosmetics CC+ Your Skin But Better Foundation – I have two foundations on my list, the biggest separator is the price tag. This foundation makes my skin look flawless. In my opinion, 100% worth the price! For starters, it contains SPF so one less thing to worry about putting on in the morning. It has color correcting properties that help even out your skin tone and cover blemishes. I stopped using my color correcting sticks once I started using this foundation. I also don’t really use primer with this product as it doesn’t sink into my pores or fine lines like other foundations. Any product that can help speed up my makeup routine and make my skin look amazing is a win!
6. Sigma Brush Mat – I hate the task of cleaning my makeup brushes. I typically do mine once a month with the exception of my foundation brush which I do more often. This mat makes the cleaning process a little more fun and the ridges really help deep clean your brushes. I feel like I use less soap and time.
5. c/o Clinique Smart Custom Repair Moisturizer – I was originally sent the whole Smart skin care line to try out. The moisturizers were amazing at evening out my skin tone and keeping my skin hydrated. I loved it so much I even bought it for my mom. I did try a few other morning face lotions, but none gave the same great results.
4. Revlon Colorstay Foundation – If you want a great drugstore foundation, this is it. The coverage is pretty amazing and lasts all day. I rarely used my color correcting sticks with this one. It didn’t overly sink into my pores or fine lines. I would occasionally pair it with a primer which only enhanced the way this foundation made my skin look. Another plus to this product is the wide range of color options.
3. Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask – Hands down, my favorite mask! I do this mask every other week, and my skin glows after I’m done. It does a great job of exfoliating away your dead skin cells so they aren’t clogging pores and causing fine lines while leaving you with smooth healthy glowing skin. Side note on this one, it does have a slight tingle after first applied.
2. c/o It Cosmetics Tighlight 3in1 Mascara – Can we talk eyelashes game changer! I hated the damage mascara was doing to my lashes, so I would often skip days going mascara free which probably made me look tired. It was the only way to keep my lashes healthy. This product works as a mascara, a mascara primer, and can be used as an eyeliner. I use it for both mascara, mascara primer, and sometimes to help break up any clumps. On regular work days this mascara can stand alone to create long thin lashes. When I’m heading out and about with my gals, I will wear this under my mascara to coat and protect. The big thing I love about this is that it conditions my lashes with nourishing ingredients so they can stay healthy and long and I cannot look half asleep skipping my mascara.
MY FAVORITE BEAUTY PRODUCT OF 2016!
1. Batiste Dry Shampoo -This product changed my whole hair game and morning routine. I wish I would have known about this product years ago. I can now go about 4-5 days between shampoos which helps keep my hair stronger and healthier. I have naturally curly hair which means when I wash it I then have to blow dry and straighten it. Lots of heat damage. Now I just do a quick straightening touch up in the morning, spray my dry shampoo on, wait a few minutes before shaking off excess and my hair looks as good as clean day one hair. The price tag is AWESOME coming in around $8 depending where you shop. I always keep two on hand, so that I am never caught with dirty hair and no dry shampoo in the morning.
There you have it my favorite beauty products of the year. Did any of your favorites make the list? See any products you want to try in 2017 or have a product you recommend for me to try out? I am always up to try something new.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend ringing in 2017! Stay safe and I will see you next year!
The Almost Cashmere Sweater
| OUTFIT DETAILS |
HALOGEN Cashmere/Wool Blend Sweater (I’m wearing the Petite) | CASLON Gray Skinny Jeans | CHARLES BY CHARLES DAVID Lace Up Heels | JULIE VOS Long Pendant Necklace | BAUBLEBAR c/o Venette Drops | HENRI BENDEL Cuff Bracelet | Lips: MAC Craving | Nails: ESSIE c/o Go with the Flowy
One sweater I have always heard is worth the splurge is a cashmere sweater, but I just haven’t been able to spend the often $200+ price tag yet. Probably because I live in Texas and winter only lasts about a month or two. I mean we had record high temps yesterday, and I considered going to the pool on Monday. So…..
I took a baby step towards the splurge though over Black Friday and bought this wool/cashmere blend sweater for a steal of a price. The black keeps selling out, but a few other colors remain. This sweater is still really soft and warm, but for like half the cost of full cashmere. My only semi-downside to this sweater is the slits on the side are high which means I have to wear a tank underneath it. You could mix it up a little and put a fun color to peek through the sides. I went with black because I bought this sweater with the idea of pairing it with my new gray jeans. If an all black look is my go to, then black and gray is it’s close best friend. Love this color combo and how perfect it looks with the pretty pop of dark pink. By the way these earrings have been marked down to $24 in a big winter sale along with a few other great statement accessories!
Just a few more days until 2017, are you ready?!? I have my champagne, black eyed peas, and cabbage in the fridge, so I am ready to celebrate all weekend long. I shared a casual New Year’s Eve Outfit idea on Monday, so don’t forget to check it out! And check back here on Friday for a fun little beauty post. See you then and thanks for stopping by!
SHOP THE LOOK
Casual New Year’s Eve Outfit
| DETAILS |
SANCTUARY Cold Shoulder Sweater | EXPRESS Faux Leather Leggings | WHITE MOUNTAIN Carmella Slouch Boot (similar) | GIGI NY Magenta Clutch | BAUBLEBAR Juliet Necklace | KENDRA SCOTT Drusy Stud Earrings | NADRI Crystal Bangle | RAYBAN Silver Mirror Aviators | Lips: NYX Staycation | Nails: ESSIE c/o Party on a Platform
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas weekend! Mine was a mix of relaxing at home and hanging out with family. It was really nice. I’m really excited to have today off work. It’s a nice little bonus day, since we don’t really have any plans. Well except to hit the gym and burn off a few of the sweets from the weekend.
With less than a week to go until we celebrate a brand new year, I figured it was time to share a cute and casual New Years Eve outfit. If we go out, we usually keep it low key and celebrate at a friend’s house. The atmosphere is casual, but I still like to find ways to dress up my outfit a little. I ordered this gorgeous statement necklace over Black Friday, and absolutely love it! I have been looking for a new statement necklace for a few months, and this was exactly what I was looking for from the design to the adjustable length to that perfect amount of sparkle. With a statement necklace like this one, I typically opt for a stud earring to not have too much going on up top. I opted for these drusy ones, so they would still add a little sparkle.
I wore this exact outfit to a holiday party back when it was still cold. This sweater is so warm and cozy, and I love the cold shoulder details. The placement and thickness of the straps make it work with a regular black bra for me. Always a win in my opinion. The cold shoulder and bold stripe give this sweater a little chic edge to it, so it pairs perfectly with my faux leather leggings. I can’t rave enough about how comfy these leggings are! A great way to dress up an outfit, but still be so comfortable all night long.
Looking for more New Year’s Eve outfit ideas? I updated my Holiday Style page over the weekend with a few more ideas! You have to check it out for some more inspiration. Thanks for swinging by ya’ll!
SHOP THE LOOK
Best Outfits of 2016
This post is one of my favorite ones to put together every year!! I love looking back at all the outfits I created throughout the year. Many of the posts remind of me of certain events or just different parts of the year, so it’s fun to reminisce a little. It also makes me really proud to see all of the beautiful content that I have put my time, love, and energy into creating. It’s crazy to think all of this started as a small crazy little dream of mine to share my love of styling, and here we are at over 2 years and counting.
I love looking through my behind the scenes numbers to see which outfit posts you guys loved and viewed the most too. I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate that each one of you takes time every week to stop by, visit and check out my latest outfit or shopping tips. My little blog grows everyday into a space I could never have dreamed of, and I owe so much of that to all of you for making me apart of your weekly routine. I love creating these posts, and I am so excited to continue sharing more style inspiration with you in 2017!
I hope you enjoy this look back at my Top Ten Best Outfits of 2016!
(ten) TEAL SWEATER & BROWN RIDING BOOTS
(nine) YELLOW FRINGE SANDALS
(eight) THE PERFECT BROWN LEATHER JACKET
(seven) CLOSET STAPLES & A PINK BACKPACK
(six) CASUAL EASTER OUTFIT
(five) FALL’S IT COLOR: MAROON CASUAL TOP
(four) HOUSTON BLOGGERS TAKE CHARLESTON
(three) HOUSTON RODEO OUTFIT: OTK BOOTS
(two) CASUAL SHIFT DRESS FOR FALL
(one) COLORFUL CARDIGAN
I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!!! I will be celebrating with family all weekend, and I cannot wait! Next week, I have a little bit more end of year outfit inspiration for you. Maybe give you some ideas on how to spend those Christmas gift cards. 😉 See you then friends!
XO – Karen